Monday 9 October 2017

When Is The Right Age For Your Child To Start Dating?






If anything, this topic was the most hilarious for me, due to the reactions of so many mothers. They got emotional and started panicking at the thought, some nearly cried! hahahah..Is it because you started early or you KNOW what you did back then???? mmmmmm

Due to my years with the magazine, I have now learnt that parenting style are different for everyone and I respect that; what works for me, does not work for the next person. That is why I posed to the question to be more personal; what is it for YOUR child.

The nice thing about our show is that we can discuss views from being a parent of girls and being a parent of boys. It was interesting to see Patience get so emotional about her son introducing girls to her, or going for ice-cream with a girl! I thought only mothers of girls have such reactions. Clearly not!

When I thought about it, I considered some of these questions to be important when one makes their decision:

1. How mature is your child to understand the concept of dating?
2. How open are you with your child?
3. Do you know your child's friends? Are they 'forward'?
4. Would you start talking about boys before they are 13 or when they turn 13?
5. Would you want to meet your child's friends of the opposite sex?
6. Would you want to meet each and every girlfriend?
7. Would you allow your child to have their girlfriend/boyfriend over at your house?
8. Would you supervise dates?
9. What age would you talk about contraceptives and sex?
10. Is your fear  because you do not trust your child? What is the cause of your fear? 
11. Are you able to 'stomach' the openness of your relationship with your child? Do you really want to know EVERYTHING?


Those are the questions I thought of when I thought of my kids. I definitely do worry, but my fear is because I am not that street wise, so I cannot equip my children with all the possible scenarios that she could encounter when she starts dating, so it is fear of the unknown. Now with technology, I could miss ALOT in my child's life, but I hope she will be comfortable enough to talk to me about anything, and I hope I will be strong enough to sit and listen.  I know that I would struggle with #11, I thought of switching confidante roles with my sisters and friends, but I would still be as crazy in my reactions with their children. So I wish my kids good luck (lol)

Some of the answers we got were:
- NEVER (lol)
- When the child is 30
- When the child can pay his rent and look after his girlfriend should she fall pregnant
- When the child is 25

Well clearly the age is not anyone under 25, which is unrealistic (lol), so to our dear listeners and readers who are in denial, brace yourselves, your children are going to date much earlier than that age....so get your seat belts on and prepare for the ride!!

I would just like to know how our parents were so calm when we grew up? How did they not fret???


What a journey being a parent is in this world of technology!!

Till next Monday


Stay Blessed

#beingaparent






No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Rewarding Our Children For Doing Chores Teach Them Good Values?

'Why should I reward my child for doing what she is supposed to do?' 'They have a roof over their heads, and I feed them, ...