Monday 17 September 2018

Home Remedies That We Still Use Today



So my daughter is coming down with a flu, and last night I had no medication and no honey. I usually give my kids honey for ANYTHING, a cold, a cough, a tummy bug, because after trying all types of medication and all types of antibiotic, I found that honey works best for my kids. I try to avoid antibiotics because in my simple mummy mind, I believe that their systems get used to it and it stops being as effective, who knows if I am correct... Anyway, back to my story, so I had oranges, the logic behind that was citrus helps something (lol), so I gave her an orange, and I also made her ginger tea...she slept well at least, but is still recovering, its still in the early stages. This made me think, what remedies do other parents use? 

So some of the responses I got from people for a flu were:
1. Ginger, lemon and honey. That one definitely works, this is my number one solution, plus its yummy!!

2. Ginger, garlic, tumeric, cayenne pepper, water and olive oil. Wow! That will DEFINITELY clear sinuses any day I'm sure! Its a lot of "power" in it...hahaha

3. Steaming - hot water in a dish, then cover your child with a blanket and have them breathe in the steam. The thought of a steaming process in this heat made me sweat, but I know we used that a lot as children. My mom would put Vicks in the water. It worked definitely

For a cough I was told:
1. Steaming also works

2. Rub Vicks under your child's feet, make them wear socks. I honestly didn't and still do not understand the logic behind that, but I have been told it works by so many people, so I guess it works

For a tummy bug
1. Salt-Sugar solution. That's standard, it works definitely

Today Amard asked me what the craziest remedy was that I remember and I shared how my dad and uncle put coffee in a bath tub, filled it with hot water and made me sit in it to cure my chicken pox...let me tell you, it didn't work,  and my mom was NOT amused, and  boy were they in trouble! Hahahah!! I really don't know what they were thinking, but it was cute that they tried to help. (Sorry for sharing Dad!) Bless their hearts for trying

We all have our own remedies we grew up on, ones that worked and ones that had really no logic as to why they were done; what do you remember and what do you use for your children?

Please feel free to share some good and crazy concoctions with us!

Till Next Monday

Have fun parenting!

Stay Blessed

Tafi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Rewarding Our Children For Doing Chores Teach Them Good Values?

'Why should I reward my child for doing what she is supposed to do?' 'They have a roof over their heads, and I feed them, ...