Wednesday 23 January 2019

Have Our Parenting Styles Evolved?





When I was growing up, life was completely different: 
  • we had telephones that we called landlines which is how we communicated with our friends and family which were locked, you couldn't just call anyone and raise the bill
  • we wrote letters to our friends and family. Letters were how we survived at boarding school, it was always exciting to receive a letter every week, and write one back. 
  • TV started at 330pm so we spent more time outside than inside since there was nothing to do inside. You knew what you were allowed to watch 
  • We read a lot more, I remember I had a whole collection of Nancy Drew books and I would swap with my friends if they had a book I hadn't read. We would go to the library and read for an hour and then leave with a book that we would return a week later. There was so much to do. 
  • homework would be done at school or the moment we would get home, and somehow my parents trusted that it was done and it was correct because I do not remember homework being something they stressed about. 
  • I remember my friends saying when a certain programme started, I think it was Santa Barbara, you KNEW it was time for bed. You would just get up and say goodnight and go straight to bed....lol....
  • Many parent used 'the eye' to communicate if they were not happy with something you were doing, especially in public, and it worked!! You would stop IMMEDIATELY!!! I call that effective parenting. You somehow knew what to do, and what you weren't allowed to do. 
  • you knew where you were allowed to go and where you were not allowed to go. It wasn't as seamless.  
I am sure for most of our parents we gave them a few headaches here and there, it wasn't as rosey and easy as I have written it. But the rules were there, the foundation was set. 


When I look at how we raise our kids now,
  • every electronic gadget possible is in the house and in the car to ensure they are entertained
  • TV is on from morning until the children sleep
  • books? not a necessity nowadays, unless it is a school book that they have to read
  • not many parents are strict on what their children watch and listen to
  • they have TVs in their rooms and can spend the whole day watching TV or playing PlayStation
  • they are not afraid of us! they push their boundaries because they know they can and we won't do much or be as strict
  • they have cellphones at a young age
  • we have to check if they have done their homework or actually leave work or set aside time to do it with them
  • they get their way most of the time


Have we changed how we raise our kids? If so, why?


Is it because of technology that we feel our children need to be entertained?
Is it because we are lazy that we need to find things to entertain our children?
Is it because we need to fit in with society that we are lenient with our children?
Is it because we do not have time to parent?
Is it because we never had much and so we want our children to have the best?
Is it because we were raised by strict parents, and thus do not want to be strict with our kids?
Is it because society has said we need to let our children express themselves and be who they want to be and let them explore and find themselves?

I believe we have changed how we raise our kids, but to say why, I cannot, as it seems to be different with each household. I can speak for myself and say I am strict in certain things and lenient in some because my days can get full, and I run out of time. But I try to make sure I spend as much quality time with them as I can

Let's try and look at how we raise our kids and see what we can change for the better. Our children reflect who we are, let's remember that

Till Next Monday

Stay Blessed

Tafi

#responsibleparenting




No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Rewarding Our Children For Doing Chores Teach Them Good Values?

'Why should I reward my child for doing what she is supposed to do?' 'They have a roof over their heads, and I feed them, ...