Tuesday 26 June 2018

Stranger Danger. Child Abduction Awareness


It has been a scary two weeks in Harare, with reports coming in from schools that some adults are reportedly trying to lure students into their cars on school premises. The one boy alerted a staff member when a stranger came and told him that he was sent by the boy's mother to pick him up. Brownie points to the boy's mother for teaching him to not get into a stranger's car!!! This made me think, would my own children do the same or would they get into the car? The fact that I am not sure of what they would, scares me. It could have been my child on another day.

Is it the responsibility of the school or the parents or both?

I believe both the school and parents must teach the kids. It is important that the message is made clear to the children both at home and at school. I understand some schools have classes on safety which helps a lot, and complements what the parents teach their children.

How do we teach our children though about safety? I know I wrote 'Stranger Danger' as the title, but is it always a stranger that comes after our children?

I once had to pick up my friends daughter, and she said 'she will only go with you if you tell her the password', of which my friend told me what it was. She said her daughter tends to forget, and also is too trusting, so she wanted to see her reaction if someone she was familiar with was sent to pick her up.  Without even hesitating, her daughter jumped into my car once I told her I was sent, she didn't even ask for the password. It is not always someone your child doesn't know, it can be someone your child is comfortable around, and thus they won't have their guard up.  So always apply the rule even to your family members and friends

Here are some points that you can use when teaching your child:

  1. Noone is exempt except mom and dad and immediate family. The rules must apply to all your friends and family.
    • It seems harsh but it enforces the rule in your child's head that they must ask before they get into anyone's car. Try keep the list of permitted people short, it is less confusing for the child. 
  2. Tell your child to ask the person who has come to pick them up, to call you so that you can confirm that you sent them. Make sure you speak to your child
  3. If you use a driver, get their details and make sure they do not send someone else to fetch your child. If they do, they must inform you and your child must do the same as on point #2
  4. Tell your child to report to the school or to the teacher immediately if someone they did not know came to pick them up
  5. Tell your child to wait for you within the school grounds, and to wait with others, not alone.
  6. Teach your child to never accept gifts from a stranger 
  7. Tell your child to not stop and give directions to a stranger
  8. They must always move around with someone and also let you know of their movements 
These points don't just apply at school but everywhere

Our children look to us for guidance, do not leave the responsibility to someone else.

Teach your kids to be safe. We are living in scary, dangerous times. 



Till Next Monday,

Stay Blessed

Tafi

#beingaparent








No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Rewarding Our Children For Doing Chores Teach Them Good Values?

'Why should I reward my child for doing what she is supposed to do?' 'They have a roof over their heads, and I feed them, ...